Friday, November 16, 2007

Luciana Souza -- Duos

Whether or not you've been to Brazil or know anything about its people or culture, there is something about its music that is inherently pleasing to the ear. Its soothing rythms penetrate directly to the senses, evoking palm fronds waving gently in a warm ocean breeze, white sand beaches, and juices of exotic fruits dripping down your chin. Brazilian female vocalists, expecially in the Bossa Nova style, typically sing with very little vibrato, requiring them to move through their phrasing with an exactness that only adds to the pleasing sound. I recently purchased the CD "Duos" by Luciana Souza who follows this tradition with wonderful results. As the title suggest, there are only two musicians that perform on each of the songs: Luciana sings with a single guitarist (her own father on some of the songs). There is no overproducing of the music here. With no percussion, background strings or base line, Luciana's voice is completely exposed -- and that is a very good thing. Her voice is extraordinary. I am sure that what I hear as I play the CD in my car is the same sound I would hear if I were sitting with Luciana and her guitarist in a café in Rio. Though she remains restrained, there is an underlying power carrying this music that is missing with airy "girl-next-door" voices such as Astrud Gilberto's that helped popularize Bossa Nova music (though I love that sound too). I listened to this CD 5 or 6 time straight through without getting tired of it. I also felt myself suddenly wanting to write poetry and do nice things for my wife.

Duos was released in 2002 and Luciana has since released a follow up called "Duos II" that I am excited to purchase (or get for Christmas... hint, hint). This year she has a new album called "The New Bossa Nova" that appears to feature some American song classics with what is no doubt a very Brazilian interpretation. I will be catching her in concert in San Diego on March 1 and report further then. (Sara and Jaron, she is performing at Duke University on January 8.) 4 Beavers for "Duos." You can check out Luciana's cool website at http://www.lucianasouza.com/flash.html.

No comments: