Thursday, November 8, 2007

Best Burger in Orange County

In-N-Out seems to get the most attention when it comes to burgers in Southern California. They have done a superb job of creating a mystique that fools people into thinking their burgers are best. I personally think they are way overrated. Though their burgers are not so bad going down, most of the time I leave In-N-Out with nothing but a bad aftertaste and the unfortunate thought that that aftertaste is going to remain with me for the rest of the day and into the night.

The best burger that I have ever had in Orange County is actually found at Islands Restaurant and is called the Hula Burger. The Hula is a simple burger featuring only sautéed mushrooms, swiss cheese and mayo. I order mine with a whole wheat bun. The first time I ate one is etched in my memory as one of my favorite food memories. Each time I have eaten one since, the memory that first time comes immediately back. It is that good.

Sometimes, a restaurant will have a great burger but the fries fail to impress. In-N-Out’s fries are only mediocre. In the case of Islands, however, the quality of the fries matches the quality of the burgers. They have the best fries in the county. So, if you want the best burger and fries (the Hula is literally the best burger I have ever had) check out Islands. The only downside to the Hula is the price. It is about three times the price of a Double-Double.

4 Beavers for the Hula (5 for taste, 3 for price). 2 for the Double-Double.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I fo und ansome burger spot while I was in Virginia this spring. I am not sure how many there are, but the are all on the east coast. I am a pretty big in and out fan, but this place beats it hands down. It's called Five Guys. Look them up if you are in the east.