Friday, November 16, 2007

Allen's Top Ten Movies of All Time (At Least for This Week)

Here are my top ten movies of all time. It's difficult to put them in order. And they may change next week if I remember more.

1) Sound of Music (Sit down and watch five minutes of this movie, at any part of it, and you will be hooked. Too bad the radiant Julie Andrews can't be everybody's governess.)
2) Ben Hur (Epic pageantry -- everything about this movie is Big! Ramming speed!)
3) Batman Begins (I think Batman strikes such a cord in me because he has no super powers. He makes me feel like, "Hey, I could do that if I had that cool belt and car." Gary Oldman as the good cop was awesome -- he's the same guy who plays Sirius Black in the Potter movies.)
4) Raiders of the Lost Ark (Adventure, romance, Nazi's get toasted. It doesn't get much better.)
5) Its a Wonderful Life (Depressed? Watch this. Dave O., let's hear it: "Merry Christmas Mr. Potter!)
6) Persuasion (With Amanda Root. That scene at the end when the girl finally gets her man is one of the most touching/moving scenes of film.)
7) The Incredibles (How can a cartoon blow you away like that?)
8) Nacho Libre (Eeets thee best! Get that corn outa my face! I hate all the orphans in the whole world! Beeg keess, leetle keess, leetle hug, beeg hug. Summon your eagle powers and watch this. It gets quoted over and over and over in our family.)
9) The Great Escape (Based on a true story -- American and British spirit and ingenuity against the Nazis. Steve McQueen's memorable motorcycle scene is a classic.)
10) Casablanca (Play it again and again, Sam. I love the part when Claude Raines saves the day.)

Have I missed any? Send me your lists or additions and I will post them. Josh Harmon? What's your view from an industry insider's position? (And don't tell me Citizen Kane -- that movie was lame.)

3 comments:

The Ballentines said...

Okay, you cannot have Nacho Libre on your top ten list. It will definitely get bumped off since I can rattle off 10 movies in 10 seconds that are better than that. It was mildly funny, but not a top ten!

What about Mary Poppins, the BBC's newest Jane Eyre, Scrooge, The Best Years of Our Lives, A Pocketful of Miracles, Cat Ballou, The Lord of the Rings, The BBC's Emma, Star Wars episode IV, Horatio Hornblower? Those are just 10 movies that were all better than Nacho Libre, even if they don't make a top 10 list (although some of them definitely do)

Allen III said...

All good films, true. However, none of those films gets quoted over and over at home like Nacho. We have had more lingering laughs over that film than any other... ever.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Sara, Nacho Libre? I mean Dumb and Dumber beats that hands down! Here's a few of our favorites. A Christmas Story, Elf, The Mission (DadO has a good perpective about the LDS misionaries being allowed in the country of Brazil even though the consequences were harsh), The Black Stallion, The Happiest Millionaire, As Good as it Gets, What about Bob, A Beautiful Mind ( can you tell we have mental issues?), The original Stars Wars trilogy, We ahvelots more...we will have to narrow down a top ten!