Sunday, December 21, 2008

Natraj Indian Cuisine

Following a performance of the Nutcracker at Saddleback college (during which Cathy and I finished a bit of last minute shopping) Debbie, Monica, Cathy and I and most of our respective kids (18 total including Jared and Trevor Reese who tagged along) decided to dine at Natraj, an Indian restaurant at Alicia and the 5 next to Big Lots. I first learned of Natraj over 10 years ago when they catered a party hosted by Raj Ahuja, a business associate of Cathy’s father. We loved the food and have returned to the restaurant whenever we crave something Indian. Last night I ordered for the whole group and we shared family style. Dishes I recommend highly are the Lamb Korma featuring lamb simmered in an almond cream sauce (the Chicken Korma is terrific too) and Chicken Tikka Masala with chicken in a tomato cream sauce. These dishes come in small pot with lots of delicious sauce to mix with your basmati and saffron rice. The kids loved the tandoori chicken which the waiter brings on a sizzling skillet with onions and peppers. The kids even enjoyed the Saag Paneer, creamed spinach with homemade cheese chunks. Debbie noted (in a good way) that the food made her feel like she was in a different country. Despite the exotic fare, there was no food left at the end, even on the kids’ plates. Lunch at the restaurant is buffet style which allows you to try many different dishes that you might not otherwise try if you were ordering from a menu, including some very nice Indian desserts like Kheer (rice pudding with pistachio slivers) and Gajjar ka Halwa (warm carrot pudding). 4 Beavers for Natraj. It has become a family favorite.

1 comment:

nano*ink said...

Hey, Allen - nice to see your blog! I should do a review on Pizzeria 712...it needs 5 beavers at lest. We love it.